Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm not asking you to fix it!

"What you need to do is..."  I have heard so many people give me well-intentioned advice beginning with those six words.  I think this is one of the biggest differences between how males and females communicate.  In my experience many of the males in my life when faced with the fact that they can not fix my situation for me have responded callously and hurtfully - as if to say, "Why have you told me about this if you don't want me to do anything?"  to which I respond, "I want you to listen!  I want you to feel compassion and show some empathy. I am trying to let you know where I'm at, I'm trying to let you understand why I feel the way I do, and why I do the things I do."  If I wanted condemnation I would continue to listen to the lies that Satan has told me.